The YWCA Supports Planned Parenthood: Here’s the Y
The YWCA Central Indiana Supports Planned Parenthood and Here’s Y:
In recent months, Planned Parenthood has been the focus of many conversations from every side of the spectrum. The YWCA Central Indiana, as well as YWCA USA, supports Planned Parenthood, and here is why:
- With over 75% of the women we serve relying on Medicaid, PP is an ideal, low-cost health provider offering all health care services in one place.
- Planned Parenthood is an inclusive organization, serving and advocating for women, men, and LGBTQ patients.
- The organization offers cancer preventative education and screenings for all patients.
- Planned Parenthood offers STD education, testing, treatment, and vaccinations. Their involvement in the total process shows their dedication to not only treating, but preventing unsafe sex and repeat outbreaks.
- Pregnancy services are judgment free and open to any woman and family. From the moment a woman thinks she may be pregnant, Planned Parenthood is there to educate and support her regardless of the route she decides to take. They offer women prenatal education and childbirth classes, adoption and abortion services and referrals, as well as postpartum support and exams following birth. Their trained staff is prepared to stay with a woman through the entirety of her pregnancy and discuss all options, so a woman can make the best decision for herself and her family.
- Planned Parenthood offers general health care services such as flu vaccinations, cholesterol and diabetes screenings, and physical examinations.
- The education services offered by Planned Parenthood are extremely diverse, covering a wide array of topics. Education topics include abstinence and birth control, erectile dysfunction and fertility awareness, HIV and HPV, midlife and menopause, pregnancy and parenting, as well as safer sex and sexual response programs.
These services are instrumental for any individual seeking to live a healthy lifestyle. For individuals living in poverty, the low cost associated with these services are ideal and make receiving health care a possibility. Providing them all in one location allows individuals that rely on public transportation to conveniently receive all necessary services in one trip. YWCA USA issued this statement on November 30, 2015, to express their support to the organization:
“YWCA USA thanks, Planned Parenthood for the critical services it provides for all women every day across the country. Access to safe, high-quality reproductive health care empowers women to make the best decisions for themselves, for their families and for their futures. #ThankYouPP”
This past week, Planned Parenthood hosted a day of action in Muncie. The event consisted of writing letters to Representative Luke Messer, a training on how to build and deliver personal stories, and poster making. The event concluded with attendees personally delivering all of the above to Messer’s Muncie office. To find out what you can do to support Planned Parenthood locally, contact Derek Tulowitzky at (765) 810-6878.